Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A visitor from the future...

I have come across a number of modern photo booths while traveling that have replaced the vintage photochemical booths.  While at first approach they could almost be mistaken as identical, one look inside the booth reveals a comical overabundance of buttons, switches, and video monitors.  Modern digital technologies have replaced most antiquated and obsolete forms of media and the photo booth is no exception.  The bottom line is, it is easier and cheaper to use digital than traditional analog technology.  But in this era when techno-advocates sing the praises of time-saving advances, I can't help but wonder how much time I would waste if I tried to figure out this booth...

The Bridge of the Enterprise
This time-machine from the future was found at a Metro station in Lausanne, Switzerland and represents the shift from analog to digital technology.  Sure, it is still a photo booth by pure definition.  But in the name of making advances and saving time, the device has complicated itself out of fashion.  In fact, I can't imagine anyone other than someone requiring an ID picture actually using this contraption.  I didn't and can vouch that none of my photo booth acquaintances did either.  It could have been the 8 Swiss franc price, more than double what I'm used to paying, but I'd like to think that the pure, simple enjoyment of stepping into a photo booth can not be attained when you have this staring back at you...

Complete with retina scans!

Despite my attempted negotiations it held firm at 8 francs and I walked away empty handed and a little more appreciative of the vintage photo booth experience, regardless of how long it takes.





No comments:

Post a Comment